Thursday, February 12, 2009

Not welcome...

So my son throws a few tantrums.  Not horrifying, like many I've witnessed working at Old Navy, but horrifying to me in that I can't handle it.  (He's usually pretty fun to deal with).  According to my friends and family (but keep in mind, they are my friends and family) he isn't awful.  And he isn't, but he does like to get his own way.  He's 3, spoiled rotten, an only child, and best friends with a bunch of 28 year old males.

Anyhow, after I picked him up from daycare, I decided to run a few errands.  (my first bad decision).  The errands involved a stop at Old Navy (I get a discount, therefore I shop) followed by a stop at Kmart (it's next door).  I then realized I needed to stop at the grocery store, too.  Things went well until the grocery store.  (I should know better than to take him...)

We get there and he even gets the fun cart (you know, the one with the truck on the front half.  Great for a kid, awful to drive as the parent).  We're trucking through, grabbing a thing or two, and we stop in the cereal aisle.  I get Lucky Charms and Frosted MiniWheat, the ones we decided on prior to walking into the aisle.  We're about to leave and he spies the Cocoa Puffs.  With a damn toy on the box.  (Genius, these marketers).  Suddenly he is CRYING for Cocoa Puffs.  (He doesn't like them.  He's suckered me before).  CRYING.  Red, blotchy face.  Tears streaming down and off of his face.  He's awful to look at and listen to.  I calmly remind him he DOESN'T like them, so no, I'm not buying them.

An older woman walks by, looks at him, smiles, looks at me, and says, "Really, I think you should buy them.  I think he'll eat them."

Really?  Because I'm his mom, and have been with him for three years, and KNOW he won't.  I look at her, smile, and say "well, he won't.  Have a nice day".

I don't know if it's because I look twelve, because he is such a cute kid and a sad crier, or what...but seriously, her input...  NOT WELCOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment